Steven Edmundowicz, M.D.
Steven Edmundowicz, M.D., F.A.S.G.E.
Professor of Medicine
Chief of Endoscopy
Director of Interventional Endoscopy
Dr. Edmundowicz is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame and Jefferson Medical College. Following his internal medicine and gastroenterology training at Washington University School of Medicine and Barnes Hospital, he joined the faculty in the Division of Gastroenterology and became the first director of interventional endoscopy in 1988. Dr. Edmundowicz remained active in the division until 1994, when he returned to Philadelphia as the chief of endoscopy and director of clinical activities in the division of gastroenterology at Jefferson Medical College.
In 1997, Dr. Edmundowicz was recruited to Graduate Hospital and Allegheny University of the Health Sciences in Philadelphia as its chief of endoscopy. He was promoted to chief of gastroenterology and director of the training program at Graduate Hospital in 1998. Dr. Edmundowicz returned to the Gastroenterology Division in 1999 as the chief of endoscopy.
Dr. Edmundowicz has clinical and research interests in diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy, pancreaticobiliary endoscopy, endoscopic ultrasonography and endoluminal therapies of gastroesophageal reflux disease and obesity.
"Over the course of my career, I have had several clinical research interests. These could be categorized in three general areas. First, I have been interested in ERCP and pancreaticobiliary endoscopy. I was involved in the endoscopic management of gallbladder stones and pancreatic duct stones. I have also had an interest in agents that may prevent post-ERCP pancreatitis, the use of CO2 in ERCP, cannulation tools, cholangioscopy and pancreatoscopy. Secondly, I developed an interest in endoscopic ultrasound when it was first available in this country. I continue to be active in areas of endoscopic ultrasound investigation. A third area of interest is in the area of new devices and technologies used in endoscopy. I have been involved with several new technologies including those developed for endoluminal therapy for gastroesophageal reflux disease, morbid obesity, Barrett’s esophagus and NOTES.
Dr. Edmundowicz has also served as the senior associate editor of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, the chairman of the Web Education Committee of the ASGE, and has been a Fellow of the ASGE for a number of years. He has been invited faculty and a number of national and international courses and educational programs. In 2008 he received the Distinguished Clinician Award from Washington University School of Medicine.
- Saluk, P, Edmundowicz, SA, Wrigley D: Co-expression of enhanced spreading, ingestion and inhibition of tumor cell proliferation by macrophages from liposaccharide-inject mice. Cancer Immunology and Immunotherapy, 11:159-164, 1981.
- Picus D, Marx M, Hicks M, Lang E, Edmundowicz SA: Percutaneous cholecystolithotomy: Preliminary experience and technical considerations. Radiology, 173:487-491, 1989.
- Edmundowicz SA, Clouse R: Shortening of the esophagus in response to swallowing. American Journal of Physiology, 260:G512-G516, 1991.
- Clouse R, McCord G, Lustman P, Edmundowicz SA: Clinical correlates of abnormal sensitivity to intraesophageal balloon distension. Digestive Disease & Sciences, 36(8):1040-1045, 1991.
- Aliperti G, Edmundowicz SA, Soper N, Ashley S: Early experience with combined endoscopic sphincterotomy and laparoscopic cholecystectomy in patients with choledocholithiasis. Annals of Internal Medicine, 115(10):783-785, 1991.
- Buse P, Edmundowicz SA: Proximal common bile duct obstruction secondary to periampullary duodenal diverticulum: Successful treatment with endoscopic stenting. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 37(6):635-637, 1991.
- Picus D, Hicks ME, Darcy MD, Vesely TM, Kleinhoffer MA, Aliperti GP, Edmundowicz SA: Percutaneous Cholecystolithotomy: Analysis of Results and Complications in 58 Consecutive Patients. Radiology, 183:779-784, 1992.
- Halverson JD, Garner BA, Siegel BA, Alexander R, Edmundowicz SA, Campbell W, Miller JE: The Use of Hepatobiliary Scintigraphy in Patients with Acalculous Biliary Colic. Archives of Internal Medicine, 152:1305-1307, 1992.
- Edmundowicz SA, Aliperti GP, Middleton WD: Endoscopic Ultrasonography in the Diagnosis of Choledocholithiasis: A Preliminary Experience. Endoscopy, 24:774-778, 1992.
- Soper NJ, Flye MW, Brunt LM, Stockmann PT, Sicard GA, Picus D, Edmundowicz SA, Aliperti GP: Diagnosis and Management of Biliary Complications of Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. The American journal of Surgery, 165:663-669, 1993.
- Burton KE, Picus D, Hicks ME, Darcy MD, Vesely TM, Kleinhoffer MA, Aliperti G, Edmundowicz SA: Fragmentation of biliary calculi in 71 patients by use of intracorporeal electrohydraulic lithotripsy. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 4:251-256, 1993.
- Soper NJ, Callery MP, Brunt E, Edmundowicz SA, Aliperti G: The role of laparoscopic cholecystectomy in the management of acute biliary pancreatitis. American Journal of Surgery, 167:42-51, 1994.
- Johnson GK, Geenen JE, Bedford RA, Johanson J, Cass O, Sherman S, Hogan WJ, Ryan M, Silverman W, Edmundowicz SA, and the Midwest Biliary Study Group. A comparison of non-ionic versus ionic contrast media: results of a prospective, multicenter study. Midwest Pancreaticobiliary Study Group. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 42(4):312-6, 1995.
- Wolf JS, Nakada SY, Aliperti G, Edmundowicz SA, Clayman RV. Washington University experience with extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy of pancreatic duct calculi. Urology 46(5):638-42, 1995.
- Edmundowicz SA: Diagnosis and management of choledocholithiasis in the era of laparoscopic cholecystectomy: an endoscopist’s perspective. Endoscopy 27 (6):443-4, 1995.
- Edmundowicz SA: Common bile duct stones. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 5 (4):817-24, 1995.
- Kimmey MB, Al-Kawas FH, Gannan RM, Saeed ZA, Carr-Locke DL, Edmundowicz SA, Jamidar PA, Stein TN: Technology assessment status evaluation: balloon dilation of gastrointestinal tract strictures. Gastrointest Endosc 42 (6):608-11, 1995.
- Kimmey MB, Al-Kawas FH, Gannan RM, Saeed ZA, Carr-Locke DL, Edmundowicz SA, Jamidar PA, Stein TN: Technology assessment status evaluation: endoscopic feeding tubes. Gastrointest Endosc 42(6):612-4, 1995.
- Kimmey MB, Al-Kawas FH, Gannan RM, Saeed ZA, Carr-Locke DL, Edmundowicz SA, Jamidar PA, Stein TN: Technology assessment status evaluation: monitoring equipment for endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 42(6):615-7, 1995.
- Kimmey MB, Al-Kawas FH, Gannan RM, Saeed ZA, Carr-Locke DL, Edmundowicz SA, Jamidar PA, Stein TN: Technology assessment status evaluation: disposable endoscopic accessories. Gastrointest Endosc 42(6):618-9, 1995.
- Courtois CS, Picus DD, Hicks ME, Darcy MD, Aliperti G, Edmundowicz S, Hovsepian DM. Percutaneous gallstone removal: long-term follow-up. J Vasc Interv Radiol 7(2):229-34, 1996.
- Schapiro GD, Edmundowicz SA. Complications of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 6(2):409-22, 1996.
- Neidich R, Soper N, Edmundowicz S, Chokshi H, Aliperti G. Endoscopic management of bile duct leaks after attempted laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Surg Laparosc Endosc 6(5):348-54, 1996.
- Carr-Locke DL, al-Kawas FH, Branch MS, Edmundowicz SA, Jamidar PA, Petersen BT, Stein TN. Technology assessment status evaluation: bipolar and multipolar accessories. Gastroenterol Nurs 21(4):187-9, 1998.
- Fallah MA, Prakash C, Edmundowicz S. Acute gastrointestinal bleeding. Med Clin North Am 84(5):1183-208, 2000.
- Triadafilopoulos G, DiBaise J, Nostrant T, Edmundowicz SA, Stollman N, Anderson P, Castell D, Kim M, Rabine J, Utley D: Radiofrequency energy delivery to the gastroesophageal junction for the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Gastrointest Endosc, 53(4):407-15, 2001.
- Filipi CJ, Lehman G, Rothstein R, Raijman I, Stiegmann G, Waring JP, Gostout C, Hunter J, Edmundowicz SA, Dunn D, Watson P, Cornet D. Transoral Flexible Endoscopic Suturing For Treatment of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: A multicenter trial. Gastrointest Endosc, 53(4):416-22, 2001.
- Husain A, Debold C, Edmundowicz SA, Jonnalagadda SS: New Technique Directed balloon-assisted guide wire access of intrahepatic ducts. Gastrointest Endosc 54 (1):118-9, 2001
- Aymerich R, Edmundowicz SA. Endoscopic Treatment of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Practical Gastroenterology 25 (10):20-37, 2001.
- Lin A, Jonnalagadda S, Edmundowicz SA. Diagnosis of Malignant Biliary Strictures. Techniques in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2002;4(3):102-12.
- Triadafilopoulos G, DiBaise JK, Nostrant TT, Stollman NH, Anderson PK, Wolfe MM, Rothstein RI, Wo JM, Corley DA, Patti MG, Antignano LV, Goff JS,Edmundowicz SA, Castell DO, Rabine JC, Kim MS, Utley DS. The Stretta procedure for the treatment of GERD: 6 and 12 month follow-up of the U.S. open label trial. Gastrointest Endosc, 55 (2): 149-56, 2002.
- Ylagan LR, Edmundowicz S, Kasal K, Walsh D, Lu DW. Endoscopic ultrasound guided fine-needle aspiration cytology of pancreatic carcinoma: a 3-year experience and review of the literature. Cancer, 96 (6): 362-369, 2002.
- Corley DA, Katz P, Wo JM, Stefan A, Patti M, Rothstein R, Edmundowicz S, Kline M, Mason R, Wolfe MM. Improvement of gastroesophageal reflux symptoms after radiofrequency energy: a randomized, sham-controlled trial. Gastroenterology 125 (3): 668-676, 2003.
- Edmundowicz S. Injection therapy of the lower esophageal sphincter for the treatment of GERD. Gastrointest Endosc 59, (4), 545-552, 2004.
- Eloubeidi MA, Gress FG, Savides TJ, Wiersema MJ, Kochman ML, Ahmad NA, Ginsberg GG, Erickson RA, Dewitt J, Van Dam J, Nickl NJ, Levy MJ, Clain JE, Chak A, Sivak MV Jr, Wong R, Isenberg G, Scheiman JM, Bounds B, Kimmey MB, Saunders MD, Chang KJ, Sharma A, Nguyen P, Lee JG, Edmundowicz SA, Early D, Azar R, Etemad B, Chen YK, Waxman I, Shami V, Catalano MF, Wilcox CM. Acute pancreatitis after EUS-guided FNA of solid pancreatic masses: a pool analysis from EUS centers in the United States. Gastrointest Endosc 60(3):385-9, 2004.
- Kowalski T, Edmundowicz S, Vacante N. Endoscopy unit form and function. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 14(4): 657-66, 2004.
- Edmundowicz S, Luketich JD, Maddaus M, Richards W, Watson T. New Paradigms in Treating Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: Part 1. Contemporary Surgery 60 (6): 248-255, 2004.
- Edmundowicz S, Luketich JD, Maddaus M, Richards W, Watson T. New Paradigms in Treating Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: Part 2. Contemporary Surgery 60 (7): 304-309, 2004.
- Edmundowicz S, Luketich JD, Maddaus M, Richards W, Watson T. New Paradigms in Treating Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: Part 3. Contemporary Surgery 60 (8): 358-364, 2004.
- Lehman GA, Chen YK, Mendolia TF, Cohen LB, Deviere J, Foley TR, Johnson DA, Costamagna G, Fennerty MB, Sharma P, Snape W, Edmundowicz SA, Rothstein RI, Kahrilas PJ. Improved Acid Exposure and Symptom Scores 3 Months Post ENTERYX: Initial US Randomized, Controlled Trial Results. Gastroenterology. 129(1):371-2, 2005.
- Oh YS, Edmundowicz SA, Jonnalagadda SS, Azar RR. Pancreaticopleural fistula: report of two cases and review of the literature. Dig Dis Sci. 51 (1):1-6, 2006.
- Azar RR, Oh YS, Janec EM, Early DS, Jonnalagadda SS, Edmundowicz SA. Wire –guided pancreatic pseudocyst drainage by using a modified needle knife and therapeutic echoendoscope. Gastrointest Endosc. 63 (4): 688-92, 2006.
- Edmundowicz SA. What’s on your playlist? Gastrointestinal Endoscopy pilots a new direction in medical information transfer: GIE Audio and Podcasting. Gastrointest Endosc. 63(7): 893. 2006.
- Early DS, Janec E, Azar R, Ristvedt S, Gao F, Edmundowicz SA. Patient preference and recall of results of EUS-guided FNA. Gastrointest Endosc. 64 (5): 735-9. 2006.
- Maple JT, Edmundowicz, S. Using EUS to forecast the clinical course of ulcerative colitis: still a cloudy outlook. Gastrointest Endosc. 2007 Feb;65(2):261-2.
- Maple, JT, Peifer KJ, Edmundowicz SA, Early DS, Meyers BF, Jonnalagadda S, Azar RR. The impact of endoscopic ultrasonography with fine needle aspiration (EUS-FNA) on esophageal cancer staging: a survey of thoracic surgeons and gastroenterologists. Diseases of the Esophagus, 2007.
- Deviere J, Valdes GO, Herrera LC, Closset J, Moine OL, Eisendrath P, Moreno C, Dugardeyn S, Barea M, de Torre RL, Edmundowicz S, Scott S. Safety, feasibility and weight loss after transoral gastroplasty: First human multicenter study. Surg Endosc 2007 Nov 1.
- Pierce RA, Jonnalagadda S, Spitler JA, Tessier DJ, Liaw JM, Lall SC, Melman LM, Frisella MM, Todt LM, Brunt LM, Halpin VJ, Eagon JC, Edmundowicz SA, Matthews BD. Incidence of residual choledocholithiasis detected by intraoperative cholangiography at the time of laparoscopic cholecystectomy in patients having undergone preoperative ERCP. Surg Endosc. 2008 March (epub).
- Maple J, Edmundowicz S, Jonnalagadda S, Azar R. Wire assisted access sphincterotomy of the minor papilla. Gastrointest Endosc, Epub ahead of print.
- Ha C, Shah R, Chen J, Azar R, Edmundowicz S, Early D. Diagnosis and Management of Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors Using EUS-FNA: A Survey of Opinions and Practices of Endosonographers. Gastrointest Endosc, in press.
- Shah P, Gao F, Edmundowicz S, Azar R, Early D. Predicting Malignant Potential of Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors Using Endoscopic Ultrasound. Dig Dis Sci, in press.
- Keswani R, Azar R, Ammar T, Edmundowicz S, Jonnalagadda S. Stenting for Malignant Colonic Obstruction: A Comparison of Efficacy and Complications in Colonic versus Extracolonic Malignancy. Gastrointest Endosc, in press.
- Nguyen Y, Maple J, Zheng Q, Ylagan LR, Zhai J, Kohlmeier C, Jonnalagadda SS, Early DS, Edmundowicz SA, Azar RR. The reliability of gross visual assessment of specimen adequacy during EUS-FNA of pancreatic masses. Gastrointest Endosc, in press.
- Keswani R, Early D, Edmundowicz S, Meyers B, Sharma A, Govindan R, Chen J, Kohlmeier C, Azar R. Routine PET does not alter nodal staging in patients undergoing EUS-FNA for esophageal cancer. Gastrointest Endosc, 2008 Nov.
- Ringold DA, Shroff P, Sikka S, Jonnalagadda SS, Early DS, Edmundowicz SA, Azar RR. Pancreatitis Is Frequently Associated with Pancreatic Side-Branch Intraductal Mucinous Neoplasia (SB-IPMN). Gastrointest Endosc, in press.
- Melman L, Azar R, Beddow K, Brunt LM, Halpin, Eagon JC, Frisella M, Edmundowicz S, Jonnalagadda S, Matthews B. Primary and overall success rate and clinical outcomes for laparoscopic, endoscopic and open pancreatic cystgastrostomy for pancreatic pseudocysts. Surgical Endoscopy, 2009 Feb;23(2):267-71.
- Cote GA, Azar RR, Edmundowicz SE, Jonnalagadda SS. Balloon-assisted peroral cholangioscopy using an 8.8 mm gastroscope for the diagnosis of Mirizzi syndrome. Gastrointest Endosc, in press.
- Khalid A, Zahid M, Finkelstein SD, LeBlanc JK, Kaushik N, Ahmad N, Brugge WR, Edmundowicz SA, Hawes RH, McGrath KM. Pancreatic cyst fluid DNA analysis in evaluating pancreatic cysts: a report of the PANDA study. Gastrointest Endosc, 2009 Jan.
- Maple JT, Keswani RN, Hovis RM, Saddedin EZ, Jonnalagadda S, Azar RR, Hagen C, Thompson DM, Waldbaum L, Edmundowicz SA. Carbon dioxide (CO2) insufflation during ERCP for the reduction of post-procedure pain: a randomized, double-blind controlled trial. Gastrointesl Endosc. In press.
Link to Interventional Endoscopy Program
Link to Medline for selected publications
Division of Gastroenterology
Department of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine